History and Social Science Deeper Learning Institutes (Virginia Department of Education, VDOE)
IMPORTANT NOTE: During the registration process you will be asked to select one of the following for Breakout Session #2:
- Performance Assessments: All That Content and Designing Performance Tasks - This session will focus on the foundations of performance assessments within a Balanced Assessment Framework and how rigorous, skills-based instruction contributes to student success. Participants will explore the VDOE’s Quality Criteria Review Tool for Performance Assessment while reviewing sample performance assessments for quality.
- Using the Common Rubric & Scoring Performance Tasks- This session will focus on using the Common Rubrics to score Performance Tasks/Assessments. The difference between grading and scoring will be emphasized through the scoring of student work.
- Instruction for Deeper Understanding - This session will focus on strategies for incorporating Social Studies skills with content for deeper understanding in preparation for performance assessments.
- Overcoming Barriers to Implement High-Quality Performance Assessments - Overcoming Barriers to Implement High-Quality Performance Assessments will provide resources for selecting and modifying existing PAs from trusted partners/sources to pilot in local school divisions.
- Scoring and Rubric Calibration - This session will model the process of holding a scoring event for a common performance assessment. In addition to using student samples to evaluate a given task, participants will learn how to calibrate understanding of rubric criteria and performance descriptors in order to build capacity for inter-rater reliability in collaborative scoring.
September 24, Charlottesville Omni (212 Ridge McIntire Rd.)
October 1, Chesapeake Meeting Center (700 Conference Center Dr.)
October 8, Hyatt Regency Dulles (2300 Dulles Corner Boulevard)
October 21 Hotel Roanoke (110 Shenandoah Ave.)
9/24/2019 8:00 AM - 9/24/2019 4:00 PM,
10/1/2019 8:00 AM - 10/1/2019 4:00 PM,
10/8/2019 8:00 AM - 10/8/2019 4:00 PM,
10/21/2019 8:00 AM - 10/21/2019 4:00 PM