Student-Centered Coaching (Virginia ASCD)
Student-centered coaching is an evidence-based instructional coaching model that shifts the focus from ‘fixing’ teachers to collaborating with them to design instruction that targets student outcomes. Shifting coaching toward a data-driven approach increases the efficacy of teachers, coaches, and most importantly our students.
Participants will learn concrete strategies for implementing a coaching model that is grounded in student evidence. This will include an introduction to the core practices for student-centered coaching. We will also explore how principals and district leaders can take an active role in leading a coaching effort.
This conference is recommended for K-12 instructional coaches in any area of specialization, principals, and district leaders. Breakout sessions will be offered in order to differentiate by levels of experience, roles, and needs.
Learn the core practices for student-centered coaching
- Understand how to Increase authentic engagement in coaching
- Use strategies for reflective dialogue and discourse
- Develop tools to support coaching. For example: planners, logs, and tools to communicate about coaching throughout the school community
- Understand how to measure the impact of coaching on teaching and learning
- Learn how to align coaching with the school improvement plan
9/5/2018 - 9/6/2018
Thomas R. Fulghum Center