Multi-Sensory Language Instruction Pilot Project (Superintendent’s Memo #048-18)
The Virginia Department of Education Offices of Special Education Instructional Services and Humanities and Early Childhood are seeking Reading Specialists to participate in a Multi-Sensory Structured Language Instruction. A limited number of Reading Specialists will be selected through a competitive application process. The participants will receive professional development in the Orton-Gillingham instructional approach. This instructional approach is a direct, systematic approach to teaching language structure for reading remediation. It is designed to address the needs of struggling readers who have difficulty with reading, spelling, and writing including those with a specific learning disability such as dyslexia.
Selected Reading Specialists will be provided:
- Instructional materials needed for implementation;
- Follow up and support through a professional learning community and/or coaching will be provided to facilitate implementation during the 2018-2019 school year as a Tier 2 or Tier 3 intervention;
- Continuing education units;
- Orton-Gillingham certificate of completion for the Classroom Educator 30 hour coursework training from the Orton-Gillingham Society of Practitioners and Educators; and
- Accommodations and meals will be provided if driving distance exceeds 75 miles one way; school divisions are encouraged to cover mileage expenses for participants.
Selection criteria include:
- Reading Specialist certificate or endorsement;
- Knowledge of the K-6 English Standards of Learning;
- Instructional experience with students of varied learning styles, abilities, and aptitudes including students with disabilities and students with limited English proficiency;
- Regional representation;
- Online application is complete; and
- Recommendation of the principal with an administrative commitment to implementation.
The training will be held in Richmond at the Courtyard by Marriot Richmond North, Glen Allen, Virginia, April 18-21, 2018, from 8-4 p.m. Attendance is mandatory for each training session; participants must complete all 30 hours of training in order to receive their certificate of completion.
- Wednesday, April 18, 2018
- Thursday, April 19, 2018
- Friday, April 20, 2018
- Saturday, April 21, 2018
- All Reading Specialists who wish to participate can apply by following the link: teacher application;
- An online recommendation from your principal is required and is available at: principal recommendation;
- Completed applications and recommendations are due to the Virginia Department of Education by March 16, 2018; and
- Once applications are reviewed, notification to participants and registration information will be sent via email by March 26, 2018.
If you have questions concerning the instructional project, please contact Kim Bausum-Brown; Dyslexia and Specialized Reading Specialist by email at Kim.Bausum-Brown@doe.virginia.gov or at (804) 225-2080.
4/18/2018 8:00 AM - 4/21/2018 4:00 PM