Virginia Parents’ Tips on Transition Planning (Center on Transition Innovations, CTI, at VCU)
The following transition tips were compiled from a survey developed by the Center on Transition Innovations and given to a diverse group of Virginia families whose children have experienced the transition from high school to adult options. These valuable suggestions can assist others in making informed decisions, advocating for improved services, and building upon school and community partnerships.
1. Love your child unconditionally, believe in him or her, provide encouragement, dream big!
You are your child’s biggest fan and advocate. Support and love them as only parents can in this exciting time.
• Be positive with your child.
• Maintain high expectations.
• Assist your son or daughter in communicating dreams and abilities to others.
• Allow your child freedom under safeguarded circumstances.