STEMABILITY: Exploring Science and Engineering (Application deadline: May 13, 2019 & Selection made by: May 29, 2019)
STEMABILITY is a college transition program for rising high school juniors and seniors with disabilities and their parents. While on the Virginia Tech campus in Blacksburg students will participate in engineering, technology and science learning activities designed to enhance success in the college and work environment:
- Explore career majors in engineering and sciences
- Engage in STEM hands-on learning activities
- Try out assistive and learning technologies
- Use self-advocacy skills to plan for accommodations
We are seeking rising high school junior and senior students with disabilities who:
- expect to attend a 2 or 4 year college,
- are seeking a Virginia Advanced Studies or Standard Diploma,
- have a letter of recommendation from a teacher or counselor,
- are able to function independently in residential and dining activities and
- want to explore science, engineering and technology related fields.
We highly encourage parents to attend. Simultaneous sessions to help them prepare for changing roles include: Moving from IDEIA to ADA, assistive technologies, college accommodations, career possibilities and networking.
$50 deposit is required but it will be returned upon on-site registration on July 15.Programming, lodging, meals, snacks, & materials for students are free.Parents are responsible for their own lodging and some meals.
7/15/2019 - 7/16/2019
Virginia Tech Blacksburg, VA
STEMability Flyer 2019.pdf