Opportunity for Team Training in Traumatic Brain Injury (Virginia Department of Education) (Applications Due by Friday April 19, 2019)
The VDOE is seeking applications from school divisions for a ninth cohort of teams to receive intensive professional development this summer, 2019, and ongoing support from state specialists. Eight selected teams will receive support that will focus on improving the division’s/region’s ability to provide high quality, research-based programming and support services for students with TBI.
Each team attending the training will consist of five members representing, but not limited to, the following disciplines: special education administrator (highly recommended), special education teacher, occupational therapist, physical therapist, speech/language pathologist, school nurse, school psychologist, and athletic trainer. A team may come from one school division, or a region may collaborate to select a team consisting of members from more than one school division.
All team members are required to attend the three-day summer training which will be held July 22-24, 2019, in Staunton, Virginia, and the one-day follow-up training in Spring 2020 in the Richmond area.
Selection criteria include:
- Number of students with TBI or reported concussions
- Geographic location
- Perceived needs and resources of division/region
- Other issues addressed in application narrative
Selected teams will be provided:
- Intensive professional development in the area of TBI/concussions through face-to-face training, webinars, and telephone conferences
- Numerous materials and online resources to assist with meeting needs of students with TBI/concussions
- Ongoing support from state specialists
Completed applications are due to the Virginia Department of Education by Friday, April 19, 2019; once applications are reviewed, notification will be sent to Team Leads via email by May 3, 2019.