Activity: Observation - Introduction to Plants
Monday, February 23, 2015
|Plants - #1: Observation – Introduction to Plants
|Time: 1 Hour
||Science Journal, Colored Pencils/Crayons, Magnifying Glass (Optional)
- What are the characteristics of a plant?
- Are all plants the same? What do they all have in common?
- How did this plant get here?
- What are the parts of the plant?
- How does a plant grow?
- What do plants need to survive?
- How do plants get energy?
- Take the class outside.
- Instruct students to choose one plant to observe.
- Tell the students to use their senses – touch, smell, hearing, and sight (explain to students why you do not use taste) to observe their plant.
- Make notes of observations and draw a picture of the plant in your Science Journal.
- Use as many words as possible to describe your plant.
- Allow students time to make observations and to record information.
- Discourse – Allow students to share their observations and drawings with each other.
||Allow Choice, Journaling, and Discussion
||Vocabulary Development Through Discussion, Connecting To Real World
|Check for Understanding:
||Informal Assessment Through Journals and Discussions
Created by St. Paul School, Carroll County
by Science Generalist
at 2:42 PM
in Activity, Elementary, Life Science