Keys to Independence (The Arc of Northern Virginia) Registration opens at 6:30 Wednesday, May 19th.
Keys to Independence webpage & Registration- Registration is full for June and July sessions - wait lists are available for any potential openings.
This summer, The Arc of Northern Virginia will offer the next Tech for Independent Living training for individuals with developmental disabilities and their families. The purpose of Keys to Independence will be to provide direct access to, and training on, our suite of online independent living curriculums, including TravelMate, EmployMate, SafetyMate, and DailyMate. This continues our committment to offer our award-winning suite of “apps” directly to families.
This will be a virtual experience with a variety of formats including Zoom, small group virtual meetings, and one on one support meetings throughout the four day experience.
- People with developmental disabilities 18 years and up, and a dedicated family member (parent, sibling (over 16) who commits to full participation for the entire course
- Keys to Independence is designed to be a participatory experience. True learning and confidence will come from actually formatting and using the apps.
Session #1: Begins June 1st, and wraps up on June 10th
Tuesday June 1st – 4:30-5:30 p.m.
Thursday June 3rd – 4:30-5:30 p.m.
Monday June 7th – 4:30-5:30 p.m.
Thursday June 10th – 4:30-5:30 p.m.
Session #2: Begins July 12th, and wraps up on July 22nd
Monday July 12th – 4:30-5:30 p.m.
Thursday July 15th – 4:30-5:30 p.m.
Monday July 19th – 4:30-5:30 p.m.
Thursday July 22nd – 4:30-5:30 p.m.
A virtual, LIVE event on your computer, tablet, or smart phone
- Four “classroom” meetings for each course session,
- Additional small group meetings,
- "Stump the Experts” sessions, and
- One-on-one Consultations – individual support with a volunteer mentor available in the evenings by mutual appointment.
All activities will include interactive presentations, activities and games.
- a tablet (any kind), or smart phone for the person needing support
- a laptop or computer computer, tablet or smartphone for the parent or sibling.
Additionally, each individual participating in Keys for Independence will need to provide an email address and phone number.
- At the end of each Keys to Independence course, each family will leave with customized lessons for their family member that can be used immediately for daily virtual support towards living as independently as possible.
- Each individual with a developmental disability will receive a YEAR LONG LICENSE to TravelMate (public transportation) and DailyMate (daily living activities), access to our other ‘Mates, and BONUS educational lessons and supports in modified formats.
Registration opens at 6:30 Wednesday, May 19th. Space is limited. We anticipate these sessions will fill up fast.