Recorded Webinar: Explicit Contextualized Vocabulary Instruction – DHH (August 26, 2020)
Presented by Dr. Jennifer Catalano: Dr. Jennifer Catalano is the director of the Master’s in Education of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing program and an assistant professor at Flagler College. She worked as a research assistant with the Center on Literacy and Deafness (CLAD) for five years developing and implementing literacy interventions for K-2 DHH students.
The ECV-DHH presentation will give participants the tools to provide DHH children repeated exposures and opportunities to use new content-area words that they may not learn incidentally. Participants will learn:
- Why explicit and contextualized vocabulary instruction is important for DHH learners
- The purpose of the ECV-DHH components of instruction, including fast mapping, interactive story book reading, conversation, and extension activities (i.e., drill and practice, conceptual)
- The steps needed to implement the ECV-DHH components including:
- Procedures for assessing students’ word and definition knowledge of target vocabulary
- Procedures for implementing the sample vocabulary units
- Procedures for developing their own vocabulary unit
- How to navigate the ECV-DHH website
Hosted by: Technical Assistance Center for Children Who are Deaf and Hard of Hearing at the Partnership for People with Disabilities at Virginia Commonwealth University.