Real Co-Teachers of Virginia Discuss High Leverage Practices (HLPs) - Elementary
How are the “special” needs of students with disabilities met in a co-taught classroom? What drives the thinking of co-teachers as they co-plan, co-instruct and co-assess to meet the needs of all their students. As part of the Excellence in Co-Teaching Initiative sponsored by the Virginia Department of Education, co-teachers have developed resources including videos and lesson plans that are posted on the TTAC Online Real Co-Teachers of Virginia eWorkshops (Elementary) to assist teachers in addressing these issues.
In their work, co-teaching teams acknowledge that struggling learners present complex learning and behavior issues. Best practices to help these students meet with success have been identified in various research studies. In partnership with the Collaboration for Effective Educator Development Accountability and Reform Center (CEEDAR), the Council for Exceptional Children reviewed the research and developed and published a set of High Leverage Practices in Special Education (HLPs) for special educators and teacher candidates. These practices enable teachers and co-teaching partners to plan and deliver effective instruction that is responsive to student needs and provides explicit, systematic instruction and behavioral interventions. The HLPs are organized around four aspects of practice: Collaboration, Assessment, Social/Emotional/Behavioral, and Instruction.
In the following videos, Real Co-Teachers of Virginia discuss how they implement these High Leverage Practices in their co-taught classes.
Target Audience: Co-Teaching Teams, Special Educators, Administrators, Division Support Personnel, Pre-Service Teachers, Preservice Professors & Inservice Professional Developers
- HLP 1 Professional Collaboration - Livingston Elementary, Grade 5
- HLP 3 Collaboration with Families - Livingston Elementary, Grade 5
- HLP 4 Multiple Sources of Information about Students - Emerald Hill Elementary, Grade 1
- HLP 7 Learning Environment - Discovery Elementary, Grade 3
- HLP 8 Positive & Constructive Feedback - Discovery Elementary, Grade 3
- HLP 9 Teach a Social Behavior - Bensley Elementary, Kindergarten
- HLP 13 Curriculum & Materials Adaptation - Livingston Elementary, Grade 5
- HLP 15 Provide Scaffolded Supports - Bensley Elementary, Kindergarten
- HLP 17 Flexible Grouping - Emerald Hill Elementary, Grade 1
- HLP 17 Flexible Grouping - Bensley Elementary, Kindergarten