Instructional Strategies in Literacy: Phonemic Awareness
Welcome to the Instructional Strategies in Literacy: Phonemic Awareness webshop! This webshop is one of three webshops designed for K-12 general and special education teachers to increase their knowledge and skills in current practices in the area of Literacy. Phonemic awareness has been identified as one of the five critical skills by The National Reading Panel (2000). If you have students struggling in reading, reading comprehension or spelling, they may require direct instruction in phonemic awareness. By the end of this webshop, the participant should leave with an understanding of what phonemic awareness is, why it is important and how to improve their students' skills in this area.
- Reflection 1: Are You Ready?
- What is Phonemic Awareness?
- Why is Phonemic Awareness Important?
- Phonemic Awareness Strategies in Elementary School
- Phonemic Awareness Strategies at the Secondary Level
- Supporting High-Leverage Practices for Phonemic Awareness
- Reflection 2: Stop & Jot
- Assessing Phonemic Awareness
- Special Considerations
- Accommodations & Assistive Technology
- Reflection 3: Pause & Reflect