Videos for Parents of Children with Significant Cognitive Disabilities to Support Learning at Home (National Center on Educational Outcomes, NCEO)
The National Center on Educational Outcomes (NCEO) and TIES Center, the national technical assistance center on inclusive practices and policies, have developed a series of videos for parents of children with significant cognitive disabilities to help them with supporting learning at home. These are the first four videos in this collaboration:
- Helping Your Child with Routines at Home
- Helping Your Child with the Foundations of Communication at Home
- Helping Your Child with Communication at Home
- Helping Your Child with Academics
In addition to parents, educators and other audiences will find the videos useful as they work with parents and families. Each video focuses on three key questions:
- Why is it important to focus on this with my child at home?
- How can I do this at home?
- What support can I ask for from my child’s school?
These videos help families learn ways to support the learning of their children with significant cognitive disabilities at home and have conversations with teachers to link home and school support.
Additional videos will be added to the series over the next several months. The future videos will be on monitoring progress and supporting the learning of reading, writing, and math at home.