Services for Older Youth (Virginia Department of Social Services, VDSS)
Youth services (also known as the Independent Living Program) assists foster care youths ages 14-21 in developing the skills necessary to make the transition from foster care to independent living. Independent Living services include activities that are based on a written assessment of life skills. Areas of focus include personal development skills such as self-esteem, communication skills, decision-making, conflict resolution and anger management. Examples of independent living skills are career exploration, job skills, money, management, housing, transportation, and legal issues.
- Educational Opportunities
- Community College Tuition Grant
- Education and Training Vouchers (ETV)
- Great Expectations
- Video Modules-
- Module 1: What is a Transition Plan and why should I do one?
- Module 2: Who is involved in Transition Planning?
- Module 3: How do I develop a Transition Plan?
- Module 4: What do I need to know to effectively plan for myself?
- Module 5: What happens after my transition plan is completed?