Adapted Physical Education (PreK-12) VDOE GRANT FUNDED (Content Teaching Academy @ James Madison University) (June 24-28, 2019)
Registration - Spaces Available 6/5/2019
The Virginia Department of Education’s Office of Special Education Instructional Services and Office of STEM, in collaboration with James Madison University, are sponsoring the 2019 Adapted Physical Education Content Teaching Academy (CTA). Requirements that are specific to this grant-funded CTA:
- Health and Physical Education teachers may enroll for attendance only credit of 30 hours (local school divisions will convert the hours to recertification points) and will be awarded a stipend of $300. To receive the credit and stipend, registrants must attend all 18 Adapted PE CTA sessions during the week.
- Teachers who enroll in this academy must hold a current teaching or supervisory position in Health and Physical Education.
- During the academy, teachers will learn about the unique complexities of working with students with special needs and explore a variety of instructional strategies to ensure all students are successful, regardless of ability or disability. The academy aims to empower physical educators to adapt skillfully and modify health, PE, and FLE curriculum, instruction, tasks, equipment, and/or environment to address the individualized needs and abilities of each child so all students can successfully learn and participate.
- The Virginia Department of Education will assume the cost of registration and on-campus DOUBLE lodging (if you select SINGLE lodging, you must pay the difference of $80), and meals for all Virginia public school participants accepted into the program.
- The 2019 Content Teaching Academy sessions begin at 8:30 am Monday, June 24 and conclude at noon on Friday, June 28. On Monday through Thursday, the daily schedule is set up much like a high school 4×4 block schedule, with two 1.5 hour sessions in the morning and two 1.5 hour sessions in the afternoon. Breaks with snacks and beverages are provided between sessions in both the mornings and afternoons. The primary check-in period is from 5:00 to 7:00 pm on Sunday, June 23. Late arrivals and commuters may check in early Monday, June 24th between 7:00am and 8:00 am.
Registration for the training is limited to current public school employees only. No onsite registration will be accommodated. All registrants will be required to present a school-issued identification card at the check in desk upon arrival. Individuals registered will not be permitted to send a substitute if they are unable to attend. No audio or videotaping of the training sessions will be allowed. The Virginia Department of Education reserves the right to cancel the registration of any person who does not meet the registration criteria.
VDOE will assume the cost of registration, DOUBLE lodging, and meals for all public school participants accepted into the program.
6/24/2019 - 6/28/2019