Reframing Discipline: Alternatives to Suspension Conference
Conference provides an opportunity for school leaders, school hearing officers, and student support personnel to learn from other Virginia practitioners’ efforts to reduce suspensions/expulsions and improve school climate. The conference will be held in two locations:
- Williamsburg on September 26, 2018, at the Doubletree by Hilton (50 Kingsmill, Road, Williamsburg, Virginia); and
- Abingdon on October 2, 2018, at the Southwest Virginia Higher Education Center (One Partnership Circle, Abingdon, Virginia).
This year’s conference will feature a keynote presentation from Dr. William T. Noel, Sr., Director of Student Support and Disciplinary Review in Henrico County Public Schools. In breakout sessions, practitioners will share programs to provide alternatives to suspension, which have been implemented with positive results in Virginia schools. The registration fee is $30 per person.
Breakout session topics include the following:
- Restorative Practices
- Juvenile Justice Intersections
- Beginning the Conversation on Implicit Bias
- Addressing Truancy
- Cottage Schools: An alternative to suspension of young children
- School Resource Officers Working with Students in Community Service
- Conducting Threat Assessments and Following Up
- Profile of a Virginia Graduate in Alternative Settings
- Re-thinking In-school Suspension
- Addressing Social Emotional Learning
- Revising Codes of Student Conduct
This training is open to employees of Virginia school divisions only. On-site registration is not available. All registrants must present an identification card at the check-in desk upon arrival. Substitutes are not permitted without prior approval. Audio or video taping of the opening session or the breakout sessions is not allowed. The Virginia Department of Education reserves the right to cancel the registration of any person who does not meet the registration criteria.
9/26/2018 7:30 AM - 9/26/2018 4:30 PM,
10/2/2018 7:30 AM - 10/2/2018 4:30 PM
Williamsburg on September 26, 2018, at the Doubletree by Hilton (50 Kingsmill, Road, Williamsburg, Virginia) Abingdon on October 2, 2018, at the Southwest Virginia Higher Education Center (One Partnership Circle, Abingdon, Virginia)