Dysphagia in the Schools: An Introduction for SLPs
This tutorial will provide a basic overview of how school-aged children typically swallow, and briefly discuss what can go wrong. Included in this tutorial are the following topics: Normal Swallowing Anatomy Normal Development Typical Swallow What Can go Wrong with the Swallow Possible Abnormalities of a Swallow HOT Topics – Why this Information is Important to me as a SLP in the School Setting
- Dysphagia in the Schools: An Introduction for SLPs
- Feeding and Swallowing Tutorial Overview
- Normal Swallowing Anatomy
- Differences between Infant-Child Anatomy
- “Normal” Development: Some Basics
- How School-Aged Children Typically Swallow: The Phases
- How School-Aged Children Typically Swallow: The Phases Continued
- What Can Go Wrong with the Swallow?
- Possible Abnormalities Across Phases: Red Flags
- Why Do I Need to Know this in the School Setting when Screening?
- Additional Resources
- Test Your Knowledge