BEST PRACTICES IN SOCIAL-EMOTIONAL LEARNING (July 2019)
- SEL (Social-emotional learining) refers to the skills and abilities that allow individuals to relate to others, set goals, manage emotions, and resolve conflict.
- To promote SEL development, districts should provide explicit instruction in SEL skills, behaviors, and attitudes.
- Districts should pursue a systemic approach to SEL planning and implementation that considers resources, needs, and stakeholder input.
- Districts should provide staff with professional development opportunities and guidance on how to implement SEL.
- To measure SEL, districts should define and prioritize SEL competencies, and select a variety of instruments to measure those skills.