VA TV Classroom (Virginia Department of Education, VDOE)
Superintendent of Public Instruction James Lane announced that four Virginia public media stations will broadcast teacher-led classroom instruction aligned with the Commonwealth’s academic standards. Blue Ridge PBS, VPM, WETA and WHRO Public Media worked closely with the VDOE to create “VA TV Classroom” to provide instruction to students in grades K-10 who are unable to access other distance learning options. “VA TV Classroom” will air instructional content beginning April 13 from 1-3 P.M., Monday through Friday.
The “VA TV Classroom” on-air schedule is as follows:
- K-3 instruction airs from 1-2 p.m. with Standards of Learning-aligned content provided by WHRO Public Media. “Learn to Grow with WHRO” segments will be 15 minutes in length and led by teachers.
- Grades 7-10 instruction airs from 2-3 p.m. with SOL-aligned content provided by WHRO Public Media focusing on Earth Science and Algebra 1.
- During the week of April 27, “VA TV Classroom” will add a special hour from 3-4 p.m. called “AP Prep Week,” with content provided by Virtual Virginia — in collaboration with WHRO — focusing on a different AP subject each day. The hour will include two 30-minute segments.
“VA TV Classroom” can be seen throughout the commonwealth on the following channels:
- WHRO – WHRO World: via antenna 15.2, Cox 107 and Verizon FiOS 460
- VPM – VPM Plus
- Richmond area: via antenna 57.1, Verizon FiOS 24 and 524 (HD), Comcast 24 & 797 (HD), DIRECTV 57, DISH 57 and 9392 (HD)
- Charlottesville area: via antenna 41.2, Comcast 265 (HD) and 1146 (HD)
- Shenandoah Valley: via antenna 51.2, Comcast 9, 798 (HD) and 1042 (HD)
- WETA – WETA PBS Kids: via antenna 26.3, Comcast 266, Cox 801, Verizon FiOS 472 and RCN 38
- Blue Ridge PBS – SWVAPTV: via antenna 15.2, streaming services Blue Ridge Streaming and Project Southwest on YouTube, Citizens Cable 82, Cox 107, Comcast/Xfinity 264 and Lumos 17 (Shentel, Bedford, Covington, Glade Hill, Radford, Rocky Mount, Rustburg and Wytheville: 157)