School Help for Homeless Children with Disabilities: Information for Parents (October 2015)
If you and your family are experiencing homelessness, you may be struggling to enroll and keep your children in school. If you have a child with special needs, you may have even more challenges to make sure your child receives the help she needs. Here are some concerns that parents often have:
• not knowing who to talk to about their child’s needs;
• not knowing if their child’s problems in school are caused by a disability or by the stress of being homeless;
• not being sure how to help their child adjust to a new school after moving to a temporary living situation;
• not being able to arrange time and transportation for parent-teacher conferences or meetings at school; and
• not understanding the process for getting special education services for their child.
This brief will help you with each of these concerns and offer resources for additional assistance.