Mathematics Vocabulary Word Wall Cards (Virginia Department of Education, VDOE)
Mathematics vocabulary word wall cards provide a display of mathematics content words and associated visual cues to assist in vocabulary development. The cards should be used as an instructional tool for teachers and then as a reference for all students, particularly English learners and students with disabilities.
Suggested uses as a formative instructional tool:
- Integrate the use of cards into daily instruction and then post on the classroom wall for student reference.
- Include an “active” vocabulary card section containing cards that are currently being used as an instructional tool.
- Highlight key words or portions of pictures.
- Add notation, words, or pictures that connect to instructional discussions or formal definitions.
- Group multiple cards when teaching units that include multiple vocabulary words.
- Reformat cards to create a personal set on a ring that can be used for student reference.
Vocabulary word wall cards may be modified to address the instructional needs of teachers and students.