Instructional and Environmental Strategies for All Learners - Problems with Organization
- Create and teach routines and procedures.
- Provide teacher demonstration & modeling, guided, independent practice, and frequent review opportunities.
- Use checklists and mnemonics to help students remember the expected behaviors.
- Color code notebooks and school book covers.
- Have students "check" unneeded books and notebooks at the door. They can pick up their items as they exit class.
- Attach things that often get misplaced (pencils) to students' desks with Velcro.
- Use assignment books and calendars.
- Check that homework assignments are written down daily.
- Provide a copy of assignments for home.
- Check homework daily.
- Send daily/weekly progress reports home.
- Provide a time weekly for organizing desk and notebooks.
- Assign a peer buddy to assist with organization.
- Create backwards timelines for larger projects.
- Help students estimate how long it will take them to complete each portion of a project.
- Provide an outline of the text.
- Color-code to identify vocabulary, main ideas.
- Teach students to identify and highlight key information.
- Use slot outlines.
- Teach note-taking skills.
- Provide page numbers where answers can be found.
- Provide advanced organizers.
- Allow student to use a computer to complete assignments.
- Use graph paper to help students organize calculation problems, or turn notebook paper horizontally. Provide boxes for students to write in answers.
- Avoid cluttered/crowded worksheets.
- Teach goal-setting skills.
- Teach decision-making/prioritizing skills.
- Teach time-management skills.
Math VIDS - http://www.coedu.usf.edu/main/departments/sped/ mathvids/index.html
Adapting Mathematics Instruction in the General Education Classroom for Students with Mathematics Disabilities - http://www.ldonline.org/article/ 5928
Learning Disabilities and Assistive Technology - http://www.gatfl.org/LearningDisabilitiesGuide/tabid/456/Default.aspx
Wisconsin Assistive Technology Initiative Assistive Technology - http://www.wati.org/
Elementary Math Chart - http://http://www.wati.org/content/ supports/materials/reading/pdf/Math_Chart_elem.pdf
Middle School Math Chart - http://www.wati.org/content/supports/ materials/reading/pdf/Math_Chart_Mid_Sec.pdf