Instructional and Environmental Strategies for All Learners - Problems with Understanding/Comprehension
- Teach the meaning of key vocabulary words.
- Provide an example of a correctly solved problem at the beginning of the lesson.
- Provide visual cues to help students who may have difficulty visualizing shapes, dimensions and sizes.
- Have students verbally or visually explain how to solve a math problem.
- Provide students with a strategy to use for solving word problems.
- Introduce only one concept at a time and teach to mastery.
- Provide many practice opportunities and include problem solving, reasoning, and real-life application to help with transfer of information.
- Teach students how the textbook is organized and the format for each page or section.
- Used taped textbooks.
- Have students "talk aloud" as they complete problems.
- Model and teach metacognitive strategies (Model and verbalize procedure, guide students through verbalization of problem computation, monitor student verbalizations as they complete procedure, periodic reviews provided).
- Use cooperative learning techniques such as "jigsaw" or "think-pair-share".
- Teach in small chunks so students get lots of practice with one step at a time.
- Provide learning aids such as calculators to help students focus on conceptual understanding.
- Use estimation throughout the day and have students estimate a reasonable solution prior to starting any computation.
- Teach facts in families.
- Demonstrate all concepts with manipulatives.
Math VIDS - http://www.coedu.usf.edu/main/departments/sped/ mathvids/index.html
Adapting Mathematics Instruction in the General Education Classroom for Students with Mathematics Disabilities - http://www.ldonline.org/article/ 5928
Learning Disabilities and Assistive Technology - http://www.gatfl.org/LearningDisabilitiesGuide/tabid/456/Default.aspx
Wisconsin Assistive Technology Initiative Assistive Technology - http://www.wati.org/
Elementary Math Chart - http://http://www.wati.org/content/ supports/materials/reading/pdf/Math_Chart_elem.pdf
Middle School Math Chart - http://www.wati.org/content/supports/ materials/reading/pdf/Math_Chart_Mid_Sec.pdf