Virginia Early Literacy Virtual Summit (Streamed live on the University of Virginia School of Education and Human Development YouTube Channel)
RICHMOND — Secretary of Education Atif Qarni and Superintendent of Public Instruction James Lane will provide opening and closing remarks, respectively, during the 2020 Virginia Early Literacy Summit tomorrow (Tuesday, October 20).
The half-day virtual summit will focus on the science behind developing early literacy, and will provide an opportunity for educators and division superintendents to learn about best practices and the role of division-level instructional leaders in implementing high-quality early literacy programs.
The summit will be streamed live on the University of Virginia School of Education and Human Development YouTube Channel.
The agenda is as follows:
- 9-9:15 a.m. — Welcoming Remarks
- Atif Qarni, Virginia secretary of education
- Bob Pianta, dean, UVA School of Education and Human Development
- 9:15-10 a.m. — The State of Early Literacy in Virginia
- Emily Solari, professor of reading education, UVA School of Education and Human Development
- 10-10:45 a.m. — The State of Early Literacy in Virginia (continued)
- Anita McGinty, research associate professor, UVA School of Education and Human Development
- 10:45–10:55 a.m. — Stretch Break
- 10:55-11:45 a.m. — The Science of Reading in Practice (panel discussion)
- Moderator: Jenna Conway, chief school readiness officer, Virginia Department of Education and Office of the Governor
- Panelists: Sam Duncan, superintendent of New Madrid County R-1 School District, Missouri; Angie Hanlin, principal, Matthews Elementary School, New Madrid County R-1 School District; Zebedee Talley Jr., superintendent, Martinsville Public Schools; Angilee Dowling, assistant superintendent for instruction, Martinsville Public Schools; and Tamra Vaughan, coordinator of academic interventions, Martinsville Public Schools
- 11:45 a.m.-12 p.m. — Closing and Next Steps
- James Lane, superintendent of public instruction, Virginia Department of Education
The summit is sponsored by the UVA School of Education and Human Development, the UVA K-12 Advisory Council, the Virginia Department of Education, the Office of the Secretary of Education, the Virginia Association of School Superintendents, and the Virginia Association of Supe
10/20/2020 9:15 AM - 10/20/2020 12:00 PM