Multi-Sensory Language Instruction Pilot Project (Virginia Department of Education, VDOE)
The Virginia Department of Education (VDOE), Office of Special Education Instructional Services in consultation with the Office of Humanities, is seeking K-6 Special Education Teachers, General Education Teachers, and Reading Specialists to participate in a Multi-Sensory Structured Literacy Instruction project during the 2019-2020 school year. Again this year, approximately 100 teachers will be selected through a competitive application process to participate in the July 22-25, 2019, regionally-based pilot project. The participants will receive professional development in the Orton-Gillingham instructional approach. This instructional approach is a direct and systematic approach to teaching language structure for reading remediation. It is designed to address the needs of struggling readers who have difficulty with reading, spelling, and writing including those with a specific learning disability such as dyslexia.
Selected teachers will be provided a $400 stipend and the instructional materials needed for implementation. Follow up support through a professional learning community and/or coaching will be provided to facilitate implementation during the 2019-2020 school year as a Tier 1, Tier 2, or Tier 3 intervention in a general education and/or special education setting.
Participants will be assigned to a regional Virginia Tech Continuing Education Center or affiliate within a reasonable driving distance of their home to attend the training. If driving distance exceeds 75 miles one way, VDOE will assume costs of lodging and meals. Divisions are encouraged to provide mileage for participants, but this is not a requirement. Participants will receive a certificate of completion for 30 hours of professional development and may be able to complete additional requirements to receive an Orton-Gillingham Classroom Educator certification through the Orton-Gillingham Academy.
Participants will be chosen based on the following criteria:
- K-6 general education teacher, special education teacher, reading specialist;
- Knowledge of the K-6 English Standards of Learning;
- Instructional experience with students of varied learning styles, abilities, and aptitudes including students with disabilities and students with limited English proficiency;
- Regional representation;
- Recommendation of the principal with an administrative commitment to implementation;
- Priority will be given to staff in schools not meeting the state benchmark for accreditation in reading; and
- Those applicants who have applied for this opportunity more than one time will be given priority consideration.
- All teachers who wish to participate can apply by following the link: teacher application;
- An online recommendation from your principal is required and is available at the following link: principal recommendation; and
- Completed applications and recommendations are due to the Virginia Department of Education by May 14, 2019, at 4:30 p.m. Once applications are reviewed, notification and registration information will be sent to participants via email by May 23, 2019.
7/22/2019 - 7/25/2019
Participants will be assigned to a regional Virginia Tech Continuing Education Center or affiliate within a reasonable driving distance of their home to attend the training.